New versions, plugins, random updates. Not a blog, honest.
ChatZilla 0.9.85 and XULRunner 18.104.22.168
ChatZilla 0.9.85 is BROKEN on XULRunner 22.214.171.124. If you're affected, downgrade to ChatZilla 0.9.84 or upgrade to XULRunner 1.9.
The error in cmgr_add is specific to Gecko 1.8.0 and possibly earlier, and is being tracked in bug 499200.
XULRunner 126.96.36.199 is very old, and may become explicitly unsupported in the future.
posted: 18 Jun 2009 21:22:39 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.80 added drag-and-drop tabs, auto-away, and various other fixes.
Gijs' blog has more details.
posted: 14 Jan 2008 11:30:00 GMT
A new version or ChatZilla has been released. ChatZilla 0.9.79:
- Fixes handling of channel names containing colons and slashes.
- Fixes rheet.
- Fixes minor IRC parsing details affecting freenode.
- Doesn't count ChanServ in channel user counts.
- Allows hiding of DCC transfers.
- Removes /css so /cs works.
Adds support for Netscape Navigator 9.
- Adds a Cancel link for in-progress connections.
- Improves accessibility of the output window.
- Makes the "Join Channel" window be modeless and search faster.
Note: I messed up the first time I uploaded the XULRunner
package for 0.9.79. If you get locale errors, reinstall or type "/update".
posted: 12 Nov 2007 18:13:59 GMT
Attach Dialog Plugin
On request, I made a plugin that adds a simple "attach to server" dialog
to ChatZilla's menu. It's on the
On an unrelated note, I'm working on a minor site redesign. Don't expect
much (it's grey!), but apologies in advance if I break stuff...
posted: 26 Jun 2007 13:18:36 GMT
Future of ChatZilla on XULRunner
If you're interested in ChatZilla on XULRunner, you should read
"Time for a New
We're not sure what the right thing to do for ChatZilla is at the moment,
but we're open to suggestions.
posted: 14 May 2007 18:48:30 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.78.1 is a minor update to fix some munger (text formatting)
regressions. See the previous entry for what's new in 0.9.78.
posted: 05 Apr 2007 20:39:42 GMT
It's been a while since 0.9.77. Lots of small fixes went in to 0.9.78.
In short: speel-checking, offline support, formatting fixes. And it should
work in a Firefox tab again.
- Add /match-users command to search channel user lists by
- Don't open multiline input when a link is dropped. (Gijs)
- Be less picky about filename escaping. (Gijs)
- Don't rebuild menus whilst initializing
(fixes double items with plugins). (Gijs)
- Fix header display on trunk after reflow landing. (Silver)
- Add IRCnet and IRC-Hispano to the default network list. (Gijs)
- Allow bug links to be disabled per-channel. (Paolo Bonzini)
- Don't turn hostmasks into email links. (Gijs)
- Let motifs theme the whole app. (Gijs)
- Don't show /list messages when using the join dialog, select first
channel in list. (Gijs)
- Add spell-checking to input box for Firefox 188.8.131.52+. (Gijs)
- Show messages when en/disabling plugins. (Gijs)
- Switch back to content docshells. (Silver)
- Rework munger to apply text effects in order. (Gijs)
- Change tab-switching shortcuts to match browser. (Shawn Wilsher)
- Escape colour codes in links. (Mook)
- Support offline mode, add icon to status bar. (Gijs)
Firefox 2 and XULRunner 184.108.40.206 users will get offered 0.9.78 automatically.
Manual downloads are on my XULRunner page and
supports Mozilla 1.0+, Firefox 1.0+, SeaMonkey 1.0+, and Flock 0.4+.
posted: 03 Apr 2007 12:16:53 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.77 is a minor release to fix an ugly regression with the new
timestamp code, and make ChatZilla work on trunk again.
posted: 23 Nov 2006 21:21:44 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.76 is out with the following features and fixes:
- Ignore repeated "User is away" messages. (Silver)
- Add support for NAMESX. (Me)
- Make timestamp formats more flexible/consistent, and allow timestamps to be
selected in the output window. (ReadMe, Silver, Me)
- Automatically do /whowas when /whois returns error. (Gijs)
- Allow plugins to easily rebuild menus. (Gijs)
- Improve conference mode notification. (Silver)
- Make Quit confirmation dialog easier to skim. (Gijs)
- Log consistently when the multiline input is used. (Gijs)
- Enable autoscroll in SeaMonkey. (Me)
- Display better messages for proxy errors. (Gijs)
- Avoid "You need to be an operator" error on some networks, and assertions
on copy. (Me, though they were my fault anyway)
- Fix strict warning in connection-xpcom.js. (Silver)
- Don't leak memory when saving a view. (Gijs)
- Kill a misspelling in prefs. (Gijs)
The extension package for Firefox and SeaMonkey is available from
the usual place, where
ChatZilla is now a recommended add-on.
My XULRunner package has also been updated.
posted: 13 Nov 2006 16:07:32 GMT
Source viewer changes
I made some more updates to /trunk/.
Info is in my blog post.
posted: 08 Aug 2006 11:50:09 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.75 is out, and includes the following changes:
- Avoid infinite alias loops. (Silver)
- Respond to Ctrl+Enter à la mIRC
(send literal text without checking for commands). (Silver)
- Remove useless server password prompts. (Me)
- Show all server-initiated mode changes, and make /mode
without parameters show current settings. (Me)
- Better support the
STATUSMSG extension. (Silver)
- Support "HTTP" proxies in addition to SOCKS. (Silver)
- Move the (re)connect attempt messages to the "disconnected" error line,
and format the time in hours/minutes/seconds. (Me)
If you're using my XULRunner package with a
recent nightly build of XULRunner, this is the first update that I'll be
sending on the default update channel. If you have any feedback
on the update process, feel free to tell
posted: 30 Jul 2006 14:14:50 GMT
ChatZilla 0.9.74 has no major new features, these things were fixed:
- Make log file re-opening quiet. (Gijs)
- Fix plugin prefmanager leak. (Silver)
- Accept multiple parameters to /who. (Gijs)
- Close files after DCC send finishes. (Silver)
- Make auto-reconnect try current server first. (Silver)
I also made the following changes in
my XULRunner package:
- (XULRunner 1.8.0.* only) Add "Themes" item to ChatZilla menu.
- (unstable XULRunner only) Add "Add-ons" to menu, remove "Extensions".
- Disable button-enable delays in security dialogs.
- Enable application update for testing.
posted: 26 Jun 2006 14:13:46 GMT
XULRunner 220.127.116.11 has been officially released!
If you're using ChatZilla on XULRunner 18.104.22.168, you should update to
22.214.171.124. Here's why:
- The timer wrapping bug (caused excess flood/crashing, mostly on Windows) is
- --install-app now works correctly on Linux.
- Running as a limited user now works, even on first run.
- Many memory leaks, security holes, and crash bugs are fixed.
I'm not sure if any of these affected ChatZilla,
but it's probably a good idea to update anyway.
Links to the builds are on my main XULRunner page,
people using Debian XULRunner can update from unstable very soon.
posted: 15 Jun 2006 11:26:10 GMT
New Plugin - TinyURL
Accidentally pasted a huge URL into a channel, and got shouted at?
Well, not anymore... ;)
Maybe the longest plugin I've written, and certainly the one that most felt
like it was turning my head inside out, TinyURL
will automatically look for long URLs in outgoing messages, and replace them
with short equivalents generated by TinyURL.com.
It also provides a /tinyurl command for direct access to the
posted: 20 May 2006 15:18:49 GMT
- First step towards network customization. (Silver)
- Formatting for ban and except lists. (Me)
- Switch to multiline input when multiple lines are pasted/dropped. (Me)
- Use binary streams for connections (ensures forward-compatibility on trunk). (Silver)
- Update compatibility info - support Seamonkey and all Firefox versions (including "Bon Echo"/"Minefield").
- Minor: avoid errors on /ban edge-cases (Me), cope with broken ping responses from IRC services (Me), update Talkback URL (Gijs), global command hooks (Silver).
posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:05:43 GMT
- Don't make user confirm /quit commands. (Gijs)
- Put join errors on the right view. (Gijs)
- Add status to IRC menu, revive the Help menu. (Gijs)
- Support +q and +a modes (where "support" means "make prettier"). (Me)
- Fixups to DCC views' headers/titlebars/nickbuttons. (Me)
- Make auto-away checking suck less. (Gijs)
- Re-open logfiles when target filename changes. (Gijs)
- Minor: service changes (Silver), don't touch prefs from /js/ (Me), swat some strict warnings (Gijs).
The usual: official ChatZilla site for
Firefox/SeaMonkey, and my XULRunner page for, well, XULRunner.
(My package now contains experimental - and mostly useless - theme manager
support. The magic incantation is /theme-manager.)
posted: 06 Mar 2006 00:25:32 GMT
- Linkify talkback IDs. (Gijs)
- Allow brackets around nickname to be copied. (Silver/Gijs)
- Menu re-arrangement. (Gijs/prolonged debate in #chatzilla)
- Add ident server. (Me)
- Add DCC auto-accept. (Me)
- Minor: fix to work on current trunk, reject blatantly invalid CTCP ping responses. (Me)
- Support Flock. (Gijs)
- Fix the Browse button for folder prefs. (Me/Mark Jongerman)
- Save prefs in case host crashes. (Silver)
You can get the Firefox/SeaMonkey package from
There's an updated package on my XULRunner page,
which includes all the above changes plus menu items for the Extension manager,
posted: 21 Feb 2006 21:01:32 GMT
Source viewer updated
I updated the ChatZilla Trunk
source viewer. Directory listings are prettier, and there's search UI and
a link to LXR on every page.
I don't know if anyone apart from me uses this, but if you do, let me know
about any bugs you see.
posted: 17 Feb 2006 15:02:22 GMT
Most useless news item ever.
posted: 11 Feb 2006 17:50:48 GMT